- The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency didn’t exist in its current form until near the end of 2018, and it now plays a much larger role for the feds on cyber.
- Likewise, the Cyberspace Solarium Commission didn’t issue its major report until 2020. Many of the congressionally established panel’s recommendations have since been enacted, such as creation of an Office of the National Cyber Director. The report has also inspired some related ideas, such as CISA’s Joint Cyber Defense Collaborative to hone cooperation between the government and private sector.
Next biggest #cyber challenge for US – “intense competition with #China for a long time” per @CYBERCOM_DIRNSA
“This is what we will deal with. This is what our children will deal with & what our children’s children will deal with”
— Jeff Seldin (@jseldin)
Is the NSA challenged by the cyber workforce shortage?
“Of course we’re challenged,” Nakasone says. “Everyone is challenged.”
We have to “think differently” about recruiting and training, he says, noting that the NSA is trying to improve things like onboarding and wellbeing.
— Eric Geller (@ericgeller)
- Even though Nakasone’s agencies have been dealing with AI for a long time, they recently completed studies on how they would use AI in the future, he said. Past NSA uses include harnessing AI for signals intelligence, and possible future uses include business processes, he said.
- Cyber Command also owes Congress a five-year plan on AI that it has ready, he said.
- “When government contractors fail to follow required cybersecurity standards, they may jeopardize the security of sensitive government information and information systems,” Deputy Assistant Attorney General Michael Granston of the Justice Department’s Civil Division’s Commercial Litigation Branch said in a statement.
- VBNS cooperated with a government investigation and “prompt and substantial remedial measures,” the Justice Department said. “After learning of the issues, Verizon provided the government with a written self-disclosure, initiated an independent investigation and compliance review of the issues and provided the government with multiple detailed supplemental written disclosures,” the department said.
- VBNS said it “proactively identified and disclosed” a potential issue with a service to GSA in 2020, Reuters reports. The company said the potential issue didn’t lead to any data breaches, per Reuters.
- The settlement agreement signed by attorneys for VBNS and the U.S. government states that the agreement “is neither an admission of liability by Verizon nor a concession by the United States that its claims are not well founded.”
- The phone “is powered by its proprietary chip Kirin 9000s and manufactured by the country’s top contract chipmaker SMIC using an advanced 7 nanometre (nm) technology,” according to the report which cites an analysis by Ottawa-based TechInsights.
- China has also announced a $40 billion state-backed investment fund to shore up its domestic chip production, Reuters reported Tuesday.
- TikTok is rolling out a European framework called Project Clover that aims to assuage concerns about Beijing’s access to European users’ data, which is now being ported over to a data center in Dublin.
- The company is also building out additional server farms in Ireland and Norway, according to the report.
- The move is similar to the U.S.-based Project Texas that would repackage TikTok’s U.S. operations into a new subsidiary overseen by the U.S. government. It has seen pushback from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.
- Jen Easterly, Bob Costello, Nathaniel Fick and other U.S. cyber officials speak at the Billington Cybersecurity Summit in D.C. throughout this week.
- DHS Undersecretary for Intelligence and Analysis Kenneth Wainstein speaks with the Atlantic Council at 11:30 a.m.
- The Institute of World Politics convenes a cyber intelligence seminar at 6 p.m.
A groundhog named Chunk has been stealing a farmer’s crop from Delaware for 4 years, and eats it right in front of a surveillance camera.
— BAY AREA STATE OF MIND (@YayAreaNews)
This content was originally published here.